Source: Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA)
- Prior to implementing a process change, such as the introduction of a new chemical, thoroughly evaluate hazards, including chemical compatibility and reactivity.
- Establish procedures for the safe handling and storage of chemicals, ensuring chemical compatibility with the process and equipment.
- Equip chemical storage tanks with properly-designed pressure relief devices that are safely vented.
- Ensure that chemical filters and scrubbers are properly designed and rated for the intended application.
- Conduct continuous H2S monitoring in areas where it may be liberated.
- Do not use pressurized air to off-load NaHS solution.
- Train miners on chemical hazards and emergency response procedures.
- Use proper personal protective equipment during chemical handling.
- For additional safe practices and precautions when handling NaHS, refer to the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board’s Safety Bulletin No. 2003-03-B (November 2004)