This checklist is not all-inclusive. You should add to it or delete items that do not apply to your business; however, carefully consider each item and make your decision. You should refer to Minnesota statutes and rules, and federal OSHA standards adopted by reference in Minnesota for specific guidance that may apply to your work situation (see www.dli.mn.gov/). (Note: This checklist is typical for general industry but not for construction or maritime industries.)
- Where tires are mounted and/or inflated on drop center wheels or on wheels with split rims and/or retainer rings, is a safe practice procedure posted and enforced?
- Does each tire inflation hose have a clip-on chuck with at least 2.54 inches (6.45 centimeters) of hose between the chuck and an in-line hand valve and gauge?
- Does the tire inflation control valve automatically shut off the air flow when the valve is released?
- Is a tire restraining device such as a cage, rack, or other effective means used while inflating tires mounted on split rims or rims using retainer rings?
- Are employees prohibited from standing directly over or in front of a tire while it is being inflated?