Sample Two-Wheeler Driving Policy
The purpose of this document is to define policies that (insert Company name) contractors and seasonal workers must follow to ensure their safety when riding two- wheelers for (insert Company name) business-related purposes.
Two-Wheeler Vehicle Safety
Two-wheelers, or motorcycles, are able to get people to destinations to which cars and trucks are usually unable. However, due to their nature, it is relatively riskier to maneuver them while on the road.
The following requirements apply to all agency employed Seasonal Workers or contractors, who ride two-wheelers for (insert Company name) business related purposes. (insert Company name) employees are NOT allowed to use two-wheelers for company business under any circumstances.
The Two-Wheeler Safety Requirements within a country should include the following:
- Training in safe operation of the vehicle: All drivers are required to attend and successfully complete relevant safety training conducted by qualified trainers within a stipulated number of days of employment with (insert Company name). They are also required to attend refresher training arranged by the Vehicle Safety Coordinator or Management, at stipulated frequency.
- Passengers: Passenger(s) are only allowed to be ferried on the two-wheelers with permission of vehicle safety coordinator, AND only if they are wearing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment as defined below.
- Carrying of loads: Carrying of heavy loads is not permitted on two-wheelers. Carrying of lighter baggage/personal belongings may only be permitted using specific containers (e.g. panniers, backpacks) that have been reviewed by the vehicle-safety team for ability to operate the motorcycle safety.
- Vehicle safety features/ components: The Vehicle Safety Coordinator shall ensure all Two-Wheelers are equipped with the necessary safety features and components in order for the vehicle to function properly.
- Maximum distance: Each country should define the maximum distance that an individual can travel on a two-wheeler for company business during a year.
The Vehicle Safety Coordinator must ensure that all two-wheeler drivers possess a valid license and the necessary documents before they are engaged for (insert Company name) business. All vehicles used to conduct (insert Company name) business must have a valid registration, where required by law, and all necessary registration documentation.
Vehicle Safety Training
All two-wheeler riders must attend the training provided for them at an interval determined to be necessary by the Vehicle Safety Team or Management.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
All riders must wear personal protective equipment, required by the Vehicle Safety Team or Management. It is mandatory to use this PPE regardless of the traveling distance, time, terrain, location and weather. The PPE shall be manufactured according to the local regulatory safety requirement and checked regularly for defects.
The PPE and other safety equipment for all two-wheelers riders should meet requirement (bold are critical):
- Helmet (Full Face)
- Eye Protection
- Elbow and Knee Protection
- Leather gloves
- Full length pants (Abrasion resistant)
- Raincoat (two pieces) as required
This information is provided as a courtesy by NETS to its members and also to the general public. It is provided "as is," without any representations or guarantees as to its accuracy, and neither NETS nor any contributing company is liable for the content or use of this information.